Gallery 7. Refugees
You are in: Room 7d.
Polish Refugees in Mexico (1943-47)
- The 1,500 refugees in Mexico were in temporary camps, bound for Africa, when Mexico volunteered to have Polish refugees.
- From Bombay the American ship “Hermitage”, in two shipments, took the refugees to Mexico via Bombay, Australia, New Zealand, Bora Bora and the San Pedro Port in the US.
- During 1943 the two transports of Polish refugees arrived at Colonia Santa Rosa in Leon Guanajuato, an abandoned hacienda.
- Colonia Santa Rosa was formed due to the combined efforts of four governments: America, Mexico, Great Britain and the Polish Government in Exile in London.
- Funding came from the Polish Government, The US Government, Catholic Relief Services, Polish Communities in the US and a host of other generous organizations worldwide.
- The Polish Falician Nuns from Chicago came to educate the children.
- The Polish community rebuilt the entire Hacienda.
- When the war ended in 1945, the Polish-Mexican agreement ended and the refugees were disbursed.
- Of approximately 1,500 refugees who were transferred from India to the Colonia Santa Rosa in Mexico, only a small group remained.
- Many went to the US or Canada.
Panorama of Santa Rosa, Mexico President of Mexico visiting Polish refugees at Santa Rosa Administration authorities, Santa Rosa, Mexico Orphanage at Santa Rosa, Mexico Photographs TestimoniesPolish Refugees in Mexico (1943-47) - the script for the audio narration
Grammar school, Santa Rosa, MexicoMap plotting the location of exiled Polish children 1. Source : Julian Plowy
Delegate from the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare of the Polish Govt in Exile in London